Indian Union Budget 2012-2013 - March 16, 2012
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE INDIAN UNION BUDGET 2012-13
* Plan Outlay for Department of Agriculture and Co-operation increased by 18 per cent.
* Outlay for Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY) increased to Rs 9,217 crore in 2012-13.
* Initiative of Bringing Green Revolution to Eastern India (BGREI) has resulted in increased production and productivity of paddy. Allocation for the scheme increased to Rs 1,000 crore in 2012-13 from Rs 400 crore in 2011-12.
* Rs 300 crore to Vidarbha Intensified Irrigation Development Programme under RKVY.
* Remaining activities to be merged into following missions in Twelfth Plan:
* National Food Security Mission
* National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture including Micro Irrigation
* National Mission on Oilseeds and Oil Palm
* National Mission on Agricultural Extension and Technology
* National Horticultural Mission
* National Mission for Protein Supplement
* Rs 2,242 crore project launched with World Bank assistance to improve productivity in the dairy sector. Rs 500 crore provided to broaden scope of production of fish to coastal aquaculture.
* Target for agricultural credit raised by Rs 1,00,000 crore to Rs 5,75,000 crore in 2012-13.
* Interest subvention scheme for providing short term crop loans to farmers at 7 per cent interest per annum to be continued in 2012-13. Additional subvention of 3 per cent available for prompt paying farmers.
* Short term RRB credit refinance fund being set up to enhance the capacity of RRBs to disburse short term crop loans to small and marginal farmers.
* Kisan Credit Card (KCC) Scheme to be modified to make KCC a smart card which could be used at ATMs.
* A sum of Rs 200 crore set aside for incentivising research with rewards.
* Structural changes in Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP) being made to maximise flow of benefit from investments in irrigation projects.
* Allocation for AIBP in 2012-13 stepped up by 13 per cent to Rs 14,242 crore.
* Irrigation and Water Resource Finance Company being operationalised to mobilise large resources to fund irrigation projects.
* A flood management project approved by Ganga Flood Control Commission at a cost of Rs 439 crore for Kandi sub-division of Murshidabad District.
National Mission on Food Processing
* A new centrally sponsored scheme titled "National Mission on Food Processing" to be started in 2012-13 in co-operation with State Governments.
* Steps taken to create additional food grain storage capacity in the country.
* Scheduled Castes and Tribal Sub Plans
* Allocation for Scheduled Castes Sub Plan at Rs 37,113 crore in BE 2012-13 represents an increase of 18 per cent over BE 2011-12.
* Allocation for Tribal Sub Plan at Rs 21,710 crore in BE 2012-13 represents an increase of 17.6 per cent.
* National Food Security Bill, 2011 is before Parliamentary Standing Committee.
* A national information utility for computerisation of PDS is being created. To become operational by December, 2012.
Multi-sectoral Nutrition Augmentation Programme
* A multi-sectoral programme to address maternal and child malnutrition in selected 200 high burden districts is being rolled out during 2012-13.
* Allocation of Rs 15,850 crore made for Integrated Child Development Service (ICDS) scheme, representing an increase of 58 per cent over BE 2011-12.
* Rs 11,937 crore allocated for National Programme of Mid Day Meals in schools.
* An allocation of Rs 750 crore proposed for Rajiv Gandhi Scheme for Empowerment of Adolescent Girls, SABLA.
Rural Development and Panchayati Raj
* Budgetary allocation for rural drinking water and sanitation increased from Rs 11,000 crore to Rs 14,000 crore representing an increase of over 27 per cent.
* Allocation for PMGSY increased by 20 per cent to Rs.24,000 crore to improve connectivity.
* Major initiative proposed to strengthen Panchayats through Rajiv Gandhi Panchayat Sashaktikaran Abhiyan.
* Backward Regions Grant Fund scheme to continue in twelfth plan with enhanced allocation of Rs 12,040 crore in 2012-13, representing an increase of 22 per cent over the BE 2011-12.
* Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF)
* Allocation under RIDF enhanced to Rs 20,000 crore. Rs 5,000 crore earmarked exclusively for creating warehousing facilities.
>> GO TO PAGE 2
>> GO TO PAGE 3
>> GO TO PAGE 1