Indian Budget 2007-08- Full Text of Budget Speech
II. BHARAT NIRMAN AND THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAMMES
9. Bharat Nirman remains the cornerstone of the Government's policy. I am glad to report that in the current financial year:
• Additional irrigation potential of 2,400,000 hectares, including 900,000 hectares under AIBP, will be created;
• Drinking water has been provided to 55,512 habitations until December 2006 against a target of 73,120 habitations;
• Until December 2006, 12,198 kilometres of rural roads have been completed. The separate window under RIDF will augment funds for the programme by Rs.4,000 crore a year;
• 783,000 rural houses have been constructed up to December 2006 and 914,000 houses are under construction, and the annual target of 1,500,000 houses is likely to be exceeded;
• 19,758 villages have been covered so far under the Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana;
• 15,054 villages have been provided with a telephone against the target of 20,000 villages, and the balance will be covered by the end of the year;
Honourable Members will note that Bharat Nirman continues to make impressive progress.
10. The eight flagship programmes of the UPA Government will continue to receive high priority. Presently, I shall refer to these programmes in some detail.
For Indian Budget 2007-08 Highlights... Click here