Indian Budget 2010-11- Full Text- February 26, 2010
STRENGTHENING TRANSPARENCY & PUBLIC ACCOUNTABILTY
100. The UPA Government has made a serious attempt to create an environment that supports transparency and accountability in the working of the public institutions in the country. As Honourable Members are aware, a number of legislative and administrative measures have been taken in this regard.
Financial Sector Legislative Reforms Commission
101. Most of our legislations governing the financial sector are very old. Large number of amendments to these Acts made at different points of time has also increased ambiguity and complexity. The Government proposes to set up a Financial Sector Legislative Reforms Commission to rewrite and clean up the financial sector laws to bring them in line with the requirements of the sector.
Administrative Reforms Commission
102. The Administrative Reforms Commission constituted by the UPA Government in its first term has submitted 15 reports, of which 10 reports have been examined by the Government. Out of the 800 identified recommendations for implementation so far, 350 recommendations have been implemented and 450 are under implementation.
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
103. In my last Budget Speech, I had announced the constitution of the Unique Identification Authority of India, its broad working principles and the timelines for delivery of the first UID numbers. I am happy to report that the Authority has been constituted and it will be able to meet its commitments of issuing the first set of UID numbers in the coming year. It would provide an effective platform for financial inclusion and targeted subsidy payments. Since the UIDAI will now get into the operational phase, I am allocating Rs.1,900 crore to the Authority for 2010-11.
Technology Advisory Group for Unique Projects (TAGUP)
104. An effective tax administration and financial governance system calls for creation of IT projects which are reliable, secure and efficient. IT projects like Tax Information Network, New Pension Scheme, National Treasury Management Agency, Expenditure Information Network, Goods and Service Tax, are in different stages of roll out. To look into various technological and systemic issues, I propose to set up a Technology Advisory Group for Unique Projects under the Chairmanship of Shri Nandan Nilekani.
Independent Evaluation Office (IEO)
105. The Government had announced the setting-up of an Independent Evaluation Office to undertake impartial and objective assessments of the various public programmes and improve the effectiveness of the public interventions. It has been decided that it would be an independent entity under a Governing board chaired by the Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission. The IEO would evaluate the impact of flagship programmes and place the findings in the public domain. It would be funded by the Planning Commission.
Symbol for Indian Rupee
106. In the ensuing year, we intend to formalise a symbol for the Indian Rupee, which reflects and captures the Indian ethos and culture. With this, Indian Rupee will join the select club of currencies such as the US Dollar, British Pound Sterling, Euro and Japanese Yen that have a clear distinguishing identity.
Security and Justice
107. Secure borders and security of life and property fosters development. I propose to increase the allocation for Defence to Rs.1,47,344 crore. This would include Rs.60,000 crore for capital expenditure. Needless to say, any additional requirement for the security of the nation will be provided for.
108. In 2009-10, the overall internal security and law and order situation in the country remained largely under control. Several new measures were taken by the Government to strengthen the security apparatus of the country. These include operationalisation of the National Investigation Agency (NIA), establishment of four NSG Hubs, augmentation of the Intelligence Bureau and its Multi-Agency Centre.
109. There was decline in violence in Jammu and Kashmir in the year 2009. We have taken a number of confidence building measures. As one more such measure, Government proposes to recruit about 2,000 youth as constables in five Central Para Military Forces in the year 2010.
110. To address the development problems of the thirty three left wing extremism affected districts, a Task Force headed by the Cabinet Secretary was formed for promoting coordinated efforts across a range of development and security measures. It has been decided that Planning Commission will prepare an integrated action plan for the affected areas. Adequate funds will be made available to support the action plan. I appeal to the misguided elements to eschew violence and join the development process.
National Mission for Delivery of Justice and Legal Reforms
111. To provide timely delivery of justice to all, the Government has approved the setting up of the National Mission for Delivery of Justice and Legal Reforms. The objective of the mission is to help reduce legal backlog in courts from an average of 15 years at present to 3 years by 2012. It would also help in improving the legal environment for business. The Thirteenth Finance Commission has provided grants amounting to Rs.5,000 crore for the States to improve the delivery of justice, including strengthening of alternate dispute resolution mechanisms.
DIRECT TAX Click here
For Indian Budget 2010-11 Highlights... Click here